Where beautiful wearable art is created

Lorie Lynn Designs was created in memory of a dear friend, Lorie York, who died of breast cancer in 2006. We donate 10% of our sales to local breast cancer programs.

Thursday, April 22, 2010

A Little History

Here is a little history lesson on my adorable "little" home.  My home was built in 1902 and still has many of the original features:  Interior and exterior doors, kitchen cabinets (all 3 of them), butcher block countertops, very worn hardwood floors, and some of the windows.  I love my little house.....but....coming from a large 2200 sq feet to less than 1000 sq feet has been quite an adjustment.  Plus, when we moved in here almost 4 years ago we were supposed to start a major renovation within a year.  We managed to get the garage built and then the economy went south, along with I might add most of our money.  So, here we sit, four years later and all we have done to the house is put in a few new windows and a temporary shower stall. 

This adorable little place is on a raised foundation and has over the years kind of shifted and is not quite what you would consider level.  So, before we can do much of anything in the way of fixing up my little house, it has to be leveled.  Not an easy feat!! 

I have been waiting, and waiting, and waiting (patiently can't you tell) for this to happen so I can start fixing things up inside.  Well, this week I got tired of waiting and I bought paint for the living room and dining room.  I AM GOING TO PAINT!  I know I will probably have to do it over again after the house is leveled, because I am sure we will lose some drywall and have a few cracks here and there.  Just adds character right? 

Anyway, I will post before and after pictures, and probably some pictures along the way.  I started sanding the wood trim around the windows and doorways in preparation.  Since there are several layers of paint, and the fact that I will probably have to do this all over again, I am only scuffing them so they will hold the paint.  I made the mistake of trying to take all of the paint off of the beadboard walls in the bathroom........that's another whole story! 

Anyway, I'm excited to finally be doing SOMETHING!  After our dreary and rainy winter, I really need a little "pick me up" and nothing does that faster than a nice fresh coat of paint.  Stay tuned for pictures!

No comments: